Search This Blog

Thursday 1 March 2012

A year on Hadrian's Wall Path National Trail - February 2012, Part 2

January finished without us having any major snowfalls. February began with the forecast of snow and low temperatures at the end of the week. On my first visit to my section the frost had again made walking easier and less muddy.

View looking west towards Errington Hill Head - 02/02/2012.

The first leg of my walk east started at about 8.20 a.m. and with the temperature being about minus two degrees centigrade, the ground was white with frost in places. I made quicker progress along the trail than I had done on previous visits! The molehills were frozen and I was able to get down into the bottom of the Wall ditch to reach the litter, without getting my feet wet and muddy.

View of Trail looking west towards the site of Milecastle 24 - 02/02/2012.

I reached The Errington Arms car park at about 10.20 a.m. and after a quick clean up around the stile set off to return back to Heavenfield. The sun began to shine and the areas out of the shade lost the frost. On the east leg I had the trail to myself and I only saw one other walker as I returned into Heavenfield.

Normally the only litter collected contains McDonald's packaging and plastic bottles, today as well as this, I had to pick up glass bottles, polystyrene, paper, fertiliser bags and a Christmas card. The majority of this came from out of the Wall ditch, I have been unable to reach these on previous walks, as it was in areas where the ground is waterlogged and very muddy. The cold weather has some advantages for the Volunteer Rangers on Hadrian's Wall Path National Trail!

Sunshine and blue sky on the Trail - 02/02/2012.

The second week of February saw the rest of the country covered in snow, we have been very lucky, but the temperatures remained icy. Thursday of this week saw freezing rain and treacherous road conditions around the area. A  van skidded off the road near Chesters, due to the ice.

The weather at home was dry and cold, on reaching Heavenfield, later than I normally do, it was minus one degrees Centigrade and the easterly wind made it feel a great deal colder. The ground was frozen solid and dips in the trail that are normally full of water in winter were iced over.

This type of weather does have its advantages - no muddy boots to clean! It also makes walking a great deal easier and I tend not to stop for long, except to admire the views to the North and South.

Vallum beside the site of Milecastle 24 - 10/02/2012.

It was to be a normal walk on my section, jobs carried out today included litter picking, flattening molehills, repairing a broken fence rail and freeing a gate latch that had frozen.
I carry most things when on the trail, I did not really expect to need a can of de-icer!

It remained dry for the duration of my six and a half mile round trip and I filled two refuse bags with the litter collected. At this time of the year it is easy to spot the wind blown litter that collects in the gorse on the side and bottom of the Wall ditch.

Trail and Wall ditch looking East - 10/02/2012.
I was the only one out today on the Portgate to Heavenfield section of Hadrian's Wall Path National Trail. My final photograph was one taken in the Church yard at Heavenfield. After loading up my gear and the litter collected, I set off home with the temperature still at minus one degrees Centigrade.

Snowdrops at St. Oswald's Church - 10/02/2012.
The colder temperatures and frost left us for the third week in February and a good weather forecast was just the incentive I needed to carry out another walk of my section.
Heavenfield was not very muddy as I set off to Portgate. Further along the Trail the ground started to get very muddy and it was again waterlogged in the dips churned up by the livestock. Even in a week, there was still a small amount of litter to pick up and mole hills to flatten.

View of Vallum near to  Stanley Plantation - 14/02/2012.
A north westerly wind got up mid morning and it remained dry for the whole of my walk. Reaching Portgate at about 10.20 a.m. I did a quick about turn and walked into the biting wind. When there was no noise from the Military Road traffic you could here the pheasants calling in Stanley Plantation and when out onto the open grassland I heard the call of a Curlew.

Sheep in the field at Portgate- 14/02/1012.
In Stanley Plantation, the brambles were starting to encroach onto the narrow path, I quickly cut these back and met two walkers and their dog trying to negotiate the very muddy path. These were the only walkers out today, when I was out. The six and a half mile round trip took me less than three hours, mainly due to there being less molehills to flatten. I am hoping that their activity will start to get less, as we approach the end of this month.

Gorse bushes in the Vallum - 14/02/2012.
My final visit in February was after the spell of unseasonably warm weather. On one of my recent visits to Wallington, the temperature was thirteen degrees Centigrade! The early morning start was prompted by the forecast of rain spreading from the west, later in the day.

Near to the site of Milecastle 24 - 27/02/2012.
The trail was in reasonable condition and my tasks for the morning consisted of the usual litter picking, flattening molehills, cutting back some brambles and brushing mud off the steps of the wooden stiles.

Tree returning to the earth in Stanley Plantation -27/02/2012.
Coming up to March, the Trail on this section has not been badly affected by large amounts of rain or severe winter weather. As spring approaches, the path will start to get greener and it should be in good condition for the start of the season in May.

View of Trail looking east - 27/02/2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment