Search This Blog

Monday 30 January 2012

A year on Hadrian's Wall Path National Trail - January 2012, Part 1

My first walk of the section in the first week of January, was on a morning following a night of strong winds and heavy rain. It was dry on my arrival at Heavenfield layby but there was still some strong gusts of wind, as I prepared for my walk on the section.

The field at Heavenfield was full of sheep and they all moved closer to the gate, probably thinking I was the owner with some feed! They quickly moved away to the corner of the field as I started to walk east.

Hadrian's Wall National Trail Way markers - 05/01/2012

The moles had been busy in Heavenfield and it took me sometime to remove the earth mounds and pick up the litter that had been blown into the fence and wall bottom. Today it took me about two hours to walk half a mile, my progress was delayed by the work of the moles on the trail. 

St. Oswald's Church, Heavenfield - 05/01/2012.
The wind started to get up again by mid morning and by the time I reached the half way point it was very strong and coming from a north westerly direction. This pushed me along as it was in my back as I walked east but on the return journey I struggled to walk against some of the stronger gusts.

At this time of year the trail is very wet and muddy. You never know who you might meet on the trail, but I was the only person out today. The strong winds made it very difficult to walk and although I picked up the litter, I am sure there will be more for my next visit to the section.

Victim of the strong winds - 05/01/2012.
My second visit of January began with some early rain, this soon stopped and the strong north westerly wind started again. The moles had been busy again and the wind had blown litter and plastic bottles into the wall ditch. I made quicker progress along the trail than my first visit.  The mole activity tends to stop at the half way point beside the Military Road crossing at Errington Hill Head. Before reaching Stanley Plantation the trail was blocked by a fallen tree. I reported this and the two lengthsmen will be coming out to remove it.

Fallen tree blocking trail - 09/01/2012.

After climbing over the fallen tree, I made good progress through Stanley Plantation, the wind had brought down small branches, but the trail was relatively clear. After a period of rain the trail gets very muddy here, I was surprised at its dry condition for this time of year. On reaching The Errington Arms, I turned for the return journey, a low level jet screamed overhead and quickly vanished to the south!

My return journey is normally a casual walk back to Heavenfield, today I had to get into the wall ditch at various points to collect some more litter.The strong wind again made walking west hard. The rain had passed over and there was blue sky and sunshine.


View of the trail walking west - 09/01/2012.
Beside the site of Milecastle 24, looking west - 09/01/2012.
My third visit was during the period of hard frosts we experienced in the middle of the month. The one good thing about the cold weather, was to harden up the muddy areas along the trail and make the walking easier. The moles had been busy! After so many hard frosts, I managed to completely lift some of the mounds of earth. Some were frozen solid and I had to leave them for when the weather warms up.

Frost on the trail, beside the Vallum - 17/01/2012.
The fallen tree discovered on my second walk had been removed and the trail was back to normal. At this time of year it is unusal to see a large amount of footprints in the frost, there must have been quite a few people out over the last week as you could see where they had been walking. Another piece of evidence to support this was the large amount of plastic bottles on and beside the trail.

On the trail looking east, towards Errington Hill Head - 17/01/2012.
During my walk there continued to be a stream of low flying RAF jets at low level heading north to the ranges at Otterburn and heading south after their sorties. Even if I kept my camera at the ready, I doubt I would be fast enough to get a picture.

At the B6318 Military Road Crossing - 17/01/2012.
The temperature was low and it was a day when I kept moving. On reaching Port gate at The Errington Arms I quickly turned around and briskly walked back to Heavenfield. I had just gone through the gate at Heavenfield when I was to meet a lone walker. This was the first person I have seen, in three visits to the section in January.

I made my last visit at the end of January and although the temperature was low and there had been a sprinkling of snow, the trail was very waterlogged. Again it was a walk interrupted by picking up small amounts of litter and dealing with the molehills.

Waterlogged section of Trail - 27/01/2012.
At various points along the trail there are still patches of gorse bushes in flower. It was again not a day to stop for long and I completed the first leg to The Errington Arms in about two hours.

Gorse bushes in flower beside the Vallum - 27/01/2012.
On my return leg to Heavenfield I decided to leave my gear at my car and go and take some photographs of St. Oswald's church. As I was walking over the field five walkers appeared and made their way to the church as well.

The weather in this month has allowed me to get out once a week and it has been needed to keep on top of the litter and the numerous molehills. Although the trail is waterlogged there are small signs that spring is not far off.

St. Oswald's Church, Heavenfield - 27/01/2012.




No comments:

Post a Comment