Search This Blog

Tuesday 11 October 2011

Walk of Section: 11th October 2011

 This was to be my final official walk and monitoring visit for the 2011 season. The season will finish at the end of October. Weather permitting, I will continue to visit during the winter months and ensure all is well for the new season in 2012.

The weather forecast for today indicated rain and sunny periods. I started my walk of the section at Heavenfield at about 8.30 a.m. and was on my return journey when it started to rain at about 11.00 a.m. It was quite a heavy shower so I had to resort to my waterproofs.

Vegetation is starting to die off, so I did not spend as much time as usual cutting back along the Trail and under the gates and stiles.

The rain of the last few months has made the Trail waterlogged and in places very muddy. It is good that the season is rapidly coming to an end, so that it can get a rest from the thousands of walkers feet.

Molehills are starting to appear along the path again. These will need to be monitored and raked over in the next few months.

In total, I only met and talked to six walkers completing the full Trail today.

The major problems found today were: stones removed from a wall and a flooded section of the Trail.

The following photographs were taken as I was out on the section:

View of trail looking west.

Victim to the recent high winds!

View towards Stanley Plantation.

Trail in Stanley Plantation.

Problem area.

Near to site of Milecastle 24.

View of Trail looking west near to Heavenfield.

Vegetation starting to die off.

No comments:

Post a Comment